General Meeting Agenda for Meeting August 27 2012
Jasper Place High School, Global Café: 8950-163 street
Potluck: 5:30 – 6:30 p.m.
Meeting: 6:30 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
Purpose of Meeting:
- Decision on allocation of Terra Madre Funds,
- determine Terra Madre Day activity,
- nominate members for Board vacancies. (Simple majority needed for decisions.)
Chair: Cynthia Strawson, Convivium Leader
- Approve Minutes of April 27 meeting
- Progress on Action Items
- Terra Madre 2012 Report
- Membership Report
- Treasurer’s Report
- DECISION: Terra Madre Funds
- Event Report
- Terra Madre Day activity
- AGM November 26, 2012
- Volunteer Coordinator
- Newsletter Coordinator
- Web Master
- Social Media Coordinator
- AGM Coordinator (short term project)
- 1,000 Gardens Fundraiser Pig Roast
- Terra Madre Day
Next Meeting: Annual General Meeting November 26, 2012
The following minutes from the last general meeting have not yet been approved.
Slow Food Edmonton
Minutes of General Meeting
Kevin Kossowan, Anita Jenzena, Tracy Zizek, Eric Frey, Genevive Olivier, Cynthia Stawson, Ming
Franks, Nora Ross, Aditya Raghavan.
Regrets: Valerie Lugonja
1. Meeting called to order by Cynthia Strawson
Approval of Minutes from previous general meeting, April 17, 2012.
3, Terra Madre
Aditya Raghavan announce the delegates that were chosen by the sub-committee comprising of Cynthia Strawson, Aditya Raghavan, Kevin Kossowan and Debra Krause.
4. Delegate List:
- Slav Heller (member at large)
- John Schneider (not currently a member)
- Cynthia Strawson (president of SFE)
- Jeffery Senger (not currently a member)
- Mike Kozlowski (not currently a member)
5. Convivium Priorities:
Cynthia Strawson raised the question whether Slow Food Edmonton could ‘approve’ certain farms or organizations and if this would be a possibility in the near future.
- Cynthia Strawson raised awareness on the issue of membership lapses
- Kevin Kossowan and Ming Franks said that there was no easy renewal reminders set up for when a membership lapses.
- The need for a new board member with the responsibility of handling memberships was discussed.
- Cynthia Strawson raised the question of what Slow Food Canada’s role/involvement was in the running of Slow Food Edmonton
- This issue was raised since Slow Food Edmonton is spending a substantial amount of the National Conference
7. Volunteers for tear-down
Cynthia Strawson asked whether any members could volunteer for the tear-down efforts at the end of the gala
8. Volunteers for airport pick-up
- Nora Ross confirmed that she would be able to volunteer for airport pick-up on Thursday, May 3rd 2012.
- Cynthia Strawson and Kevin Kossowan volunteer for airport pick-up on Wednesday, May 2nd 2012.
9, Approval of Annual Convivium Report
- The report was handed out to all present at the general meeting
- The report was approved with minor changes.
10. Other Business:
- GEA Home Meeting: Kevin Kossowan talks about the GEA meetings
Greater Edmonton Alliance has a series of house meetings in which someone from the farming/food industry will speak at a person’s house with about 10-12 people in attendance. Kevin Kossowan suggests such an event with Slow Food Edmonton at his place.
- Food in the City
of Edmonton event about the local food scene few details available at the moment. A series of talks/lectures is expected. Kevin Kossowan informs that the price of the ticket for this event has come down drastically.
- Apple Fest
Kevin Kossowan talks about plans for the Apple Fest. The festival organizers are Slow Food Edmonton members: Kevin Kossowan, Kathryn Joel, Johwanna Alleyne and Amy Beaith. The festival will last for 4-6 weeks in late summer or fall and will try to bring awareness to apple producers, processors, horticulturalists etc. in the city. Members will be able to attend each of the events during this festival. The prices are yet to be determined but will depend on how much involved will charge.
Event planning form for Indulgence 2012 was submitted by Tracy Zizek.
Request for an SFE booth with two to three SFE member volunteers to man it. The member volunteers will Indulgence. Tracy Zizek will inform SFE on the exact number of volunteers
- Slow Food Edmonton Banner/Poster
to print the banner for the National Conference. A simple design was proposed Discussions related to the price and longevity of the banner related to how affordable it would be for SFE. AICT at the University of Alberta was suggested to be one possible source of inexpensive banner printing
11. New Business
- Annual Meeting Schedule was by Cynthia Strawson. The required quorum to pass a motion on the schedule was not there. Members in attendance were pleased with an annual schedule. Possibility of a fixed location was discussed. Kevin Kossowan suggested the meeting room on the upper storey of the Strathcona branch of EPL.
- Vacancies in Board
Debra Krause has volunteered to join the board and work on the Membership
Taste Education is a position that is yet to be filled on the Board
Commitment to circulate board positions was made
12. Motion to add
Ming moves that SFE add Cynthia Strawson, President, and Aditya Raghavan, Secretary, as signing officers on the SFE bank and remove Kathryn Joel, past President, and Johwanna Alleyne, past Secretary, as signing officers on the SFE bank
Kevin Kossowan seconds
13. Cynthia Strawson moves to adjourn the meeting at 7:50 p.m.
Next meeting scheduled for Thursday, June 21st 2012.